Supreme Court Dismisses Uttarakhand Forest Officer's Plea Against Prosecution Sanction In Corbett Park Tree Felling Case

Update: 2026-02-21 11:34 GMT
Click the Play button to listen to article

The Supreme Court yesterday dismissed a writ petition filed by an Indian Forest Officer serving in Uttarakhand, named Rahul, challenging the sanction granted for prosecuting him in the case related to illegal razing of trees in the Corbett Tiger Reserve. 

The case is being investigated by the CBI under the Court's monitoring.

The bench of CJI Surya Kant and Justices Joymalya Bagchi and Vipul Pancholi dismissed the petition as withdrawn.

The counsel for the officer mainly submitted that the State Government, upon the legal advise recieved, was of the opinion that only a departmental inquiry should be made against the officer instead of grant of sanction to prosecute.

Justice Bagchi remarked that as per the facts, the petitioner has misused his official position and as per the 'legal advice' , an offence of forgery should have been concluded. 

" You persuaded your officers to cut X number of trees, and then you say that you made incorrect forged entries in the log book as fake trees, different fake trees, now that, on the face of it, is a case of forgery and the abuse of your official position. Now, on that fact, legal advice is given that no offence is committed - I don't know how you can argue that there is a re-appreciation of facts."

Justice Bagchi also added, " That is the state's subjective suggestion; we do not agree. Entire ecological tiger reserves are being razed by the person who is supposed to protect them. Do you feel that departmental proceedings are sufficient?" 

The counsel requested to withdraw the petition, as he would like to file the plea only at an 'appropriate stage', before the Trial Court. 

Justice Bagchi interjected, " This is the malady of the criminal administration in our country. Everything at the appropriate stage- and thereby dilation and postponing something most obvious." 

The bench ultimately dismissed the matter as withdrawn. 

Previously, the then bench of former CJI BR Gavai and Justice Vinod Chandran criticised the Uttarakhand High Court for entertaining Rahul's plea and staying the sanction order that was passed during the pendency of proceedings before the apex court concerning illegal constructions and felling of trees in the Corbett Tiger Reserve.

The apex court, which has been monitoring the investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the alleged illegal constructions in Corbett, noted that it had earlier questioned the Uttarakhand Government for not granting sanction for prosecution. Following the Court's oral observations on September 8, 2025, the State granted sanction for prosecution against one officer on September 16, 2025.

However, that officer, Rahul, Chief Conservator of Forests, later filed a writ petition before the Uttarakhand High Court challenging the sanction order. The High Court, on October 14, 2025, admitted the matter and stayed the operation of the sanction order.

Taking exception to this, the Supreme Court remarked that such a move “virtually amounts to interference” with its ongoing proceedings. “We are deeply perturbed by the approach of said Shri Rahul as well as the High Court of Uttarakhand,” the bench said, pointing out that the officer had been following the Supreme Court proceedings through video conferencing and was fully aware of the developments before approaching the High Court.

The Supreme Court also stayed the Uttarakhand High Court's order dated October 14, 2025, and issued a notice to Rahul to appear before it on November 11, 2025, and show cause as to why contempt proceedings should not be initiated against him. 


Case Details : RAHUL Vs STATE OF UTTARAKHAND| W.P.(Crl.) No. 62/2026

Tags:    

Similar News