Top Stories

Breaking: Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj Double Murder: Talwars Acquitted, Mystery Continues [Read Judgment]

12 Oct 2017 9:50 AM GMT
Breaking: Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj Double Murder: Talwars Acquitted, Mystery Continues [Read Judgment]
Your free access to Live Law has expired
To read the article, get a premium account.
    Your Subscription Supports Independent Journalism
Subscription starts from
(For 6 Months)
Premium account gives you:
  • Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.
  • Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.
Already a subscriber?

The Allahabad High Court on Thursday acquitted Rajesh and Nupur Talwar in the 2008 Aarushi-Hemraj double murder case.

A bench of Justice BK Narayana and AK Mishra granted the Talwar couple benefit of doubt while pointing out various loopholes in the probe conducted in the double murder which has seen numerous conspiracy theories from the start when Aarushi Talwar was found murdered in her bedroom on May 16, 2008.

The verdict comes as a big relief for the dentist couple who had appealed in the high court against their conviction and life imprisonment awarded by the CBI court in November 2013.

The couple had been lodged in Dasna jail since then. The case has seen many ups and downs since the beginning and marred by shoddy probe and inspired a film and a book penned by journalist Avirook Sen.

Here is a brief timeline of the case:

May 16, 2008: Aarushi Talwar found murdered in her bedroom at her flat L-32 in Noida’s posh Jal Vayu Vihar with her throat slit with clinical precision.

Aarushi’s parents and dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar raised doubt over their male servant, Hemraj, a native of Nepal.

May 17, 2008: Hemraj’s body found on the terrace of the house. The police then suspected the Talwars of having murdered their daughter after finding her in an objectionable position with Hemraj.

May 23, 2008: Rajesh Talwar arrested by Noida Police.

June: Then Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati transfers the case to the CBI.

June 20: Lie detection test conducted on Rajesh Talwar.

February 2009: Rajesh Talwar put to narco-analysis test.

September 2009: Delhi Police recover Aarushi’s mobile phone from Bulandshahr

December 2010: CBI files closure report citing insufficient evidence. Talwars file protest petition.

February 2011: Ghaziabad court rejects CBI’s closure report. Talwars summoned to face trial. They approach Allahabad High Court and then the Supreme Court challenging the summons

January 2012: SC dismisses their plea and allows trial to go ahead.

April 2012: Nupur Talwar arrested.

May 2012: Talwars charged with murder, conspiracy and destruction of evidence.

November 25, 2013: Talwars convicted of the double murder. Sentenced to life imprisonment.

Read the Judgment Here

Next Story