The documentary on the 16th December Delhi gang rape victim was upheld to be banned by the Delhi High Court on Wednesday for it showing the deceased victim and the women in general in bad portrayal by one of the convicts Mukesh Singh. Following the order, the telecast on the internet has also been banned. In the interview which forms the part of the documentary, he was shown to be making a remark that the blame of rape should be on the women themselves if they go out in the night and thereby attract the attention of the molesters. The court also directed the cops to act suitably if the document is found to be aired.
As a response to this, the home minister Rajnath Singh in statements in both the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha remarked the 16 December incident is highly condemnable and no one should be allowed to extract any commercial gains out of it. Reportedly, the documentary was to be telecast on BBC 4 channel on March 8. "The government has taken necessary legal action and obtained restraining order from the court on disseminating the contents of the film," he said. The information on conditions under which such a permission to take an interview were previously sought by the home minister. The documentary film was shown to jail authorities who noticed that the film depicts the comments of the convict which are highly derogatory to the dignity of women,” he also said.
The documentary entitled ‘India’s Daughter”, made by British filmmaker LesleeUdwin, was due to be released in India and many other countries on March 8, also the International Women's Day. In the recent developments, BBC ignoring the ban telecast the film on Wednesday night. The controversies surrounding the horrific incident have been endless.
BBC in its statement said, "This harrowing documentary, made with the full support and co-operation of the victim's parents, provides a revealing insight into a horrific crime that sent shock waves around the world and led to protests across India demanding changes in attitudes towards women."