The Natural Justice Environmental Law Fellowship Program, 2015: Call for Applications
15 May 2015 7:24 AM GMT
The Natural Justice Environmental Law Fellowship Program is designed for committed young lawyers and individuals from other backgrounds to get a chance to engage in the fascinating space of environmental law and communities. The Fellowship offers an exciting opportunity to lawyers and others who are passionate about learning to use domestic and international environmental law to secure the rights of communities to their lands and resources.
Description of the program
Fellows will be introduced to a board spectrum of issues within environmental law in India through working closely with the Natural Justice India team and our network of community-based organizations, non-governmental organizations, experts and legal practitioners. They will be assisting in undertaking the following tasks:
- Developing legal materials and tools for community empowerment, including games, information posters, and videos;
- Organizing and facilitating community meetings and legal capacity building workshops;
- Research and publication of think-pieces relating to communities and the environment;
- Drafting legal opinions and strategies to support partner organizations
No. of vacancies: 04
Duration of Fellowship: One year starting from July 2015.
Stipend: Rs 20,000. Travel expenses will be covered.
Essential and Desired Qualifications
- A degree in law, natural resource management or other relevant disciplines with a keen interest in the law and in advancing the rights of communities to their territories and natural resources;
- Strong research skills with the ability to critically analyze environmental policy issues;
- A passion for learning, initiating new work, and innovating on existing research and fieldwork;
- Willingness to innovate and experiment with the creative use of different disciplines and methodologies;
- A willingness to travel on a regular basis and sometimes for extended periods;
- Ability and willingness to engage in discussions and workshops with communities while being sensitive to the nuances of the local context;
- Good communication skills, with a strong command over written and spoken English, that can be used to effectively collaborate, share and exchange information with the extended Natural Justice team and its partners; and
- Fluency in Hindi and any other Indian language is preferred.
How to Apply
Deadline for submission of applications: 5th May, 2015
For more details Click here
For official website click here.