News Updates

Bombay HC Denies Relief To Father Who Sought Son’s College Admission Without Giving Aadhaar Details

Nitish Kashyap
2 July 2017 11:54 AM GMT
Bombay HC Denies Relief To Father Who Sought Son’s College Admission Without Giving Aadhaar Details
Your free access to Live Law has expired
To read the article, get a premium account.
    Your Subscription Supports Independent Journalism
Subscription starts from
(For 6 Months)
Premium account gives you:
  • Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.
  • Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.
Already a subscriber?

The Bombay High Court has rejected a petition by a father seeking to get his meritorious son re-admitted to Second Year Junior College at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, without an Aadhaar card.

A division bench of Justice BR Gavai and Justice Riyaz Chagla was hearing a writ petition filed by one John Abrahim, who has a minor son Isaac.

Isaac secured admission in First Year Junior College at St. Xavier’s in the 2016-17 session, however, when he submitted the application form for admission in the 2017-18 session, he was told it was incomplete as his Aadhaar number was not mentioned.

Abrahim contended in his petition that Aadhaar card is not mandatory and cited a Supreme Court order that states the same.

The court had told Abrahim that if he would be willing to furnish his Aadhaar card, a direction can be given to the respondent college to grant his son admission and time would be given to Abrahim for submission of Aadhaar card.

However, senior counsel Mihir Desai, who was appearing for the petitioner, submitted that his client was not willing to obtain Aadhaar card.

Irked by this, the court noted: “We fail to understand the instance of not obtaining the Aadhaar Card. It appears that the petitioner is adamant and wants to take a stand only for the purpose of adamancy. We are therefore, not inclined to grant an interim relief. The writ petition is accordingly, rejected.”

The petitioner will now move the Supreme Court for relief.

Read the Judgment Here


Next Story