Gujarat National Law University - First Annual Essay Writing Competition, 2015
On the 125th Birth Anniversary of Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar, Centre for Constitutional and Administration is inviting papers. The proposed essay writing competition will provide an interdisciplinary forum to present views on importance of Ambedkar’s ideas, ways to empower socially oppressed and ostracized groups, exploration of policies and practices to reform current system to encourage marginalized masses and strengthening judicial approach to engage with pressing demands for social justice. The basic purpose of this event is to create a meaningful dialogue on social justice agenda through active participation of intellectuals.
- All students pursuing graduate, post graduate courses.
- Each submission can be co-authoured by a maximum of two members on any one of the below mentioned topics.
- Annihilation of Castes
- From Social Injustice to Social Justice: The Ambedkarian Way
- Ambedkar, Reservation, Constitution: Consolidating the Agenda in the 21st Century
RULES AND GUIDELINES:
- A soft copy of the essay must be submitted email@example.com on or before 31st October 2015.
- The essay must be sent as a word document (.doc or .docx) and in a PDF format.
- The email should carry subject as “Submission CCAL-GNLU Essay Competition-2015”.
- The essay must be accompanied by the following documents: o Scan copy of University/Institution Identity Card.
- Covering letter containing the following details (co-author details also to be provided ,in the same letter):-
- Name of the Author:
- Contact no:
- Address of Student:
- Email id:
- Name of college/institution:
- Course and year/Semester of study:
- Address of the college (including contact no. and official Email- id):
- Title of the essay: Rules and Guidelines (Contd):
- LENGTH – The word limit shall be 2500-3500 words excluding footnotes.
RULES OF FORMATTING:
- Main text: Page Margins: 1.5 inch on left side margin and 1 inch on all other sides Body of Essay Font Type: Garamond Font Size: 12 pts Line spacing: 1.5 spacing with ‘0 pts.’ before and ‘12 points’ after Alignment: Justified
- Footnotes: Font Type: Garamond Font Size: 10 pts Line spacing: Single spacing with ‘0 pts.’ before and after. Alignment: Justified Style: The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS) 16th Edition Citation style must be followed. Citations can be in the form of footnotes or endnotes
JUDGING AND SCORING
- Each essay shall be scored against maximum marks of 100.
- The essay shall be judged based on the following criteria :-
- Contents – 30 marks
- Clarity - 30 marks
- Formatting and presentation – 20 marks
- Originality – 20 marks
- 0.25 marks shall be deducted for each violation of the aforementioned formatting rules.
- The submissions shall be subjected to an initial screening by the screening committee constituted by the CCAL. The authors of the short-listed submissions shall be intimated accordingly.
GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- The essay must strictly be original and should not have been published elsewhere. Partial or complete plagiarism will lead to immediate disqualification.
- The main body of the essay should not carry any mention of the name, contact details, or the name of the institution. In any other case, it shall lead to immediate disqualification.
- Multiple submissions by a participant(s).
- Late submission of the essay.
- The winner shall receive a cash prize of Rs 10,000.
- The first runner up shall receive a cash prize of Rs 7,500.
- The second runner up shall receive a cash prize of Rs 5,000.
Publication Winning essays at the discretion of the editorial members may be chosen for publication in a Journal with an ISBN number.
All rights of winning submissions will vest with Gujarat National Law University. All matters pertaining to the eligibility of participants, essays, evaluation of submissions and awarding of prizes is within the sole and absolute discretion of the Centre for Constitutional and Administrative Law, GNLU. J]
Asst. Professor of Law & Director-
CCAL Programme Coordinator:
Research Associate (Law)
Contact No. +91 8128650865
Contact No.: +91 9998924102
2)Ms. Priyanka V.
Contact No.: +91 8758806874
For any queries please feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org