Registration Open for JGU’s "Gender Matters?"
16 Oct 2017 2:32 PM GMT
Jindal Global University is hosting Gender Matters?, a series of events over the course of 6 weeks which will interrogate the ways in which gender becomes an organizing principle in our lives, how it manifests as both a space of repression, as well as liberation, how it intersects with and informs other identities that we carry with us.
The first edition of Gender Matters?, taking its lead from the Supreme Court's recent landmark Right to Privacy judgment, will be focusing on the notion of Privacy as it intersects with sexuality and sexual autonomy. Through a series of talks, panel discussions and cultural events, this thematic focus on privacy will run alongside events that attempt to interrogate gender at multiple registers.
JGU invites applications for the following competitions and events. To register for any of the three events, fill up this Google Form latest by 22nd October 2017.
The Organizing Committee of Gender Matters? invites applications for an essay competition on the theme of Privacy and Sexuality. The guidelines for the competition are as follows:
- This essay is open only to students.
- The work should be completely original. Any plagiarism of work will lead to a direct disqualification.
- Candidates are required to send submissions latest by 25th October 2017 [11:59 PM] to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions must have the e-mail subject as “Essay submission” only.
- Word limit: 1000-2000 words (only indicative).
- The top 3 essays will be announced before 30th October 2017. Exciting prizes await the top 3 essays, including opportunities with JGU partner Feminism In India, an acclaimed digital platform. Selected essays may also be published by JGU’s content and blog partners (Feminism in India and Ed Youth Blog).
- The essays will be judged on the following factors:
- Precision of writing
- Style of writing
- Creativity with the topic
- Flow of the essay
The Organizing Committee of Gender Matters? also announces an Art Competition on the theme Intimacies of queer sexuality. The guidelines for the competition are as follows:
- This competition is open to both students and faculty members, without any limitation.
- The competition will take place in the O.P Jindal Global University Campus on 28th October 2017.
- Candidates will be expected to take care of their own transport for the competition.
- Exciting prizes await the shortlisted 3 paintings. The artwork may be published or exhibited on JGU’s social media and on their partner platforms.
- Participants may paint on any choice of canvas (chart paper, cloth, cardboard) which must be arranged on their own.
- Participants will get a free access to a wide range of Gender Matters? events throughout the JGU campus on 28th and 29th of October.
Knowledge Café is for those who want to have a voice and intellectual conversation with their peers, in place of small talk. Participants won’t just converse, but have constructive dialogue. To participate, send a 1000-word abstract describing what they would like to present as a topic of discussion. The guidelines for the competition are as follows:
- Applicants can only be students.
- Abstracts will have to be submitted to email@example.com by 11:59 PM, on the 25th October 2017. The email must have the subject “Knowledge Café Abstract” only.
- The topics should be related to questions of privacy intersecting with gender and sexuality, that is grounded in research.
- The shortlisted entries will be intimated before 27th October 2017.
- Participants will get free access to the various Gender Matters? events throughout the JGU campus on 28th and 29th October.