RGNUL Patiala’s Parliamentary Debate ‘AGAHI’
The 6th annual Agahi, 2016 taking place from 23rd to 25th September, 2016 will follow the ‘3-on-3’ Asian parliamentary style of debating governed by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines .
FORMAT OF THE TOURNAMENT
- Each debating match will consist of two teams; one to propose the motion and one to oppose it. The team proposing may be known as ‘The Proposition’, ‘The Affirmative’ or ‘The Government’. The team opposing may be known as ‘The Opposition’ or ‘The Negative’. Teams will be designated as the Proposition or the Opposition for each round of the competition.
- Each debate shall be adjudicated upon by a panel comprising of an odd number of adjudicators. One of these shall be designated as Chairperson. In situations as per the discretion of the adjudication core (only in rounds before the ‘Break’), a debate may be adjudicated by a single experienced adjudicator.
- Each debate shall be timed by a timekeeper. In the absence of a timekeeper, a member of the adjudication panel will time the speeches.
- Teams will comprise the following members.
- Prime Minister, or First Affirmative.
- Deputy Prime Minister, or Second Affirmative.
- Government Whip, or Third Affirmative.
- Leader of the Opposition, or First Negative.
- Deputy Leader of the Opposition, or Second Negative.
- Opposition Whip, or Third Negative.
- Debaters will speak in the following order:
- Prime Minister ii. Leader of Opposition
iii. Deputy Prime Minister
- Deputy Leader of Opposition
- Government Whip vi. Opposition Whip
vii. Opposition reply
viii. Government reply
- Common minute will not be given within reply speeches.
- Speakers not ‘holding the floor’ may not rise during a speech unless it is to offer a ‘Point of Information’ .Speakers doing so, or considered to be heckling, barracking or whose behaviour is interfering with the acceptable course of a debate will be declared ‘out of order’ or will be ‘called to order’ by the Chairperson.
Winners : 31,000/-
Runners up : 11,000/-
Best Adjudicator : 7,000/-
Best Speaker : 7000/-
Independent Adjudicator : Rs. 1000/-
Team (with Adjudicator : Rs. 3600/-
For Further details please contact:
Dr. Tanya Mander ([email protected])
Ms Shubhi Pahwa (08288911725).
Mr. Navneet R. (09814850124)
Ms. Kanika Jamwal (08872264897)