Vaikunta Baliga College Of Law: Certificate Course On Supreme Court Rules Of Practice And Procedure
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Vaikunta Baliga College of law, earlier known as Udupi Law College was established in the year 1957 and is named after the Late Sri.B.Vaikunta Baliga, a legal luminary and the then Minister of law, Government of Mysore. The college is one among the 42 reputed educational institutions run by the Dr.T.M.A.Pai Foundation, Manipal. It was founded by Late Dr.T.M.A.Pai who is remembered as a pioneer in the field of education, banking and industry. The college imparts legal education with a mission to transform a student into a truthful righteous human being. The excellent coaching and the disciplined atmosphere of the college have been attracting a large number of students from different parts of Karnataka, different states of our country and abroad. The college is now permanently affiliated to Karnataka State Law University and is recognized by the Bar Council of India and the UGC. The college has been re-accredited with B+ grade by the NAAC.
ABOUT THE CERTIFICATE COURSE
Supreme Court of India is the apex court of India. It has its own practice and procedure. It is imperative for the law students to have awareness of all these procedure. A litigation career for a fresh graduate
is very hectic and challenging especially in the higher courts. Without proper guidance, it would be cumbersome for a young lawyer to find out the pebbles from the deep ocean of law and courts.
This certificate course is designed to give awareness to the students basics about the practice in Supreme Court. It includes the following contents:
a. Advocates in Supreme Court
• Senior Advocate
• Advocate-on-Record (AoR)
• Advocates (Non Seniors and non AoRs)
b. Types of Jurisdiction
• Original Jurisdiction
• Appellate Jurisdiction
• Advisory Jurisdiction
• Inherent and Plenary Jurisdiction
c. Classification of Cases
d. Procedure for filing of cases including Limitation
e. Listing of Cases – Miscellaneous matters, Non-Miscellaneous matters and regular matters.
f. Composition of Benches – Single Judge, Division Bench, Chamber Judge, Constitution Bench and Registrar Court
g. Original Jurisdiction
• Original Suit under Article 131 of the Constitution of India
• Transfer Petitions
• Election Petition
• Arbitration Petition
h. Writ Jurisdiction (Article 32 of the Constitution of India) and Public Interest
. Litigation (PIL)
i. Appellate Jurisdiction
Appeals under Articles 132, 133 & 134 of the Constitution of India
Appeal to Supreme Court as provided under various Statutes.
j. Extra-Ordinary Jurisdiction - Special Leave to Appeal (Article 136 of the Constitution of India
k. Advisory Jurisdiction
• Reference by President to Supreme Court under various Statutes
l. Inherent and Plenary Jurisdiction
• Contempt Petition
• Review Petition
• Curative Petition
m. Advocate-on-Record Examination
• Nature of work of an AoR
Mr. A. Karthik, Advocate on Record and Partner at King Stubb and Kasiva, New Delhi is the main resource person.
Selection will be done based on first-come-first-serve basis to a maximum number of 100. The list of selected participants will be intimated through email.
• To impart knowledge about the supreme court practice and procedure
• To develop among the participants awareness about the same
• To integrate professional skills of advocacy among the participants
• Students of Law pursuing 5yrs. BA.LL.B or 3 yrs. LL.B course can attend the course
• All the participants will be issued the participation certificate after successful completion of the course.
• The intake for this course shall be 100 students. Priority shall be given on first come basis.
• Duration of the course shall be for 30 hours.
• The students enrolling to this course should have minimum 70% attendance.
• The students shall be assessed on the basis of marks obtained in the test paper comprising of
30 MCQ questions conducted at the end of the course.
• The students who obtain 50% and above will be issued the course completion certificate
• Last date of Registration : 5.2.2023
• Confirmation of Registration : 6.2.2023
• Course commences from : 9.2.2023
REGISTRATION FEE BANK DETAILS
• Rs.200/- as is the registration fee.
For the brochure, click here