16th Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition 2016
16th Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition on International Humanitarian Law will be held in New Delhi from 22nd to 25th September 2016 at the premises of ISIL.
The principal objective of the Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition is to develop an increased awareness and interest in IHL in academic institutions throughout South Asia. A further objective is to use IHL to further academic excellence in the student community, and to develop their advocacy skills in an environment of friendly competition.
All universities, colleges, and institutions imparting legal education on a regular or evening basis in a program of study that leads to a Bachelors degree in law (LL.B / BL) or Masters in law (LL.M / ML) are eligible to participate in the Moot Court competition. All students enrolled on a full time or evening basis in a program of study leading to or equivalent to a Bachelors degree in law (LL.B / BL) or Masters in law (LL.M / ML), are eligible to participate. Students who have participated in this Moot Court competition on a previous occasion are not eligible to participate again.
Each participating university/college/institute shall nominate only one team consisting of three student members, plus a coach from the faculty of the university/college/institute that they represent.
- The following countries organize the Henry Dunant Memorial National Rounds in their respective jurisdictions- – Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Iran, India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
- The top 2 teams from the respective countries National Rounds would be eligible to participate and compete in the Regional Rounds.
- The Regional Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition was initiated and organised by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Regional Delegation, New Delhi, in collaboration with Indian Society of International Law (ISIL) in India during October 2005. In 2009 for the first time Regional rounds of the competition was organised outside India, in Dhaka. The venue of the regional rounds is rotated each year.
- The teams that qualify in the Regional Round would be entitled to participate in the Asia Pacific round in HongKong
- Rule 3 (b) would also be applicable for teams to participate in the Asia Pacific Rounds.
Awards and Prizes:
- The Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition winners will be awarded a “Running Trophy”, medals for the three participants of the team, and certificates.
- The Runners up team will be awarded individual medals and certificates.
- There will be a Best Advocate prize.
- There will be a Best Memorial prize.
- Each participant in the Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition will be given a certificate of participation.
- The coaches and advisers of the participating teams will not be entitled to receive any kind of certificate or award.
- Since the trophy of Henry Dunant Moot Court Competition is a "Running Trophy", it is the responsibility of the head of the institution/college/university of the winning team to ensure that the trophy is returned to the organising committee, in New Delhi, within eight months of the date of award, at the expense of the winning team's institution/college/ university.
Last date of submitting memorials: 20th September 2016