1st GNLU Moot on Securities and Investment Law
Gujarat National Law University has announce the inaugural edition of GNLU Moot on Securities and Investment Law, scheduled to be held from 11th to 13th September, 2015.
Given the interest of the student community in the nuances of these laws and considering the fact that none of the existing competitions deal with the same, a moot on the theme of securities and investment law is the need of the hour. Keeping in mind the objective of providing a platform to young minds to explore this niche area of law, GNLU invites the institution to be a part of this experience and participate in the 1st edition of GMSIL.
Eligibility: The Competition is open to all students, enrolled bona-fide on a regular basis in an undergraduate programmes or its equivalent conducted by any recognized Institution/College/University. The Competition is open only to students enrolled in undergraduate programmes. Students enrolled in postgraduate or diploma programmes would not be allowed to participate.
Recognized Institution/College/University shall be entitled to send only one Team to the Competition.
- Each Team shall complete the registration within the stipulated time. The registration is a two-step process comprising of filling up of the registration form and payment of the registration fee i.e. INR 3000 for all Teams.
- Registration will be open till August 07, 2015 (11.59 P.M. IST). The registration shall be closed after 30 teams have registered.
- The Teams are required to send a bona-fide letter issued by the appropriate authority of their Institution/College/University along with the duly filled registration form.
- Teams have to make the payment of the registration fee through a demand draft. The demand draft should be remitted in favour of “Gujarat National Law University” payable at “Ahmedabad”. A copy of the Bank Receipt/Transaction ID should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the registration form:
Guidelines for Submission of Memorials
- Each Team is required to prepare a Written Submission for both sides, the Petitioner/Appellant/Applicant and the Respondent of the case.
- All Teams shall send a soft copy of the Written Submission for each side in Adobe PDF format and Microsoft Word (.docx/.doc), via electronic mail, on or before August 30, 2015 (11:59 P.M. IST) to email@example.com , and shall comply with rules of the Competition.
- Any submission made after 11.59 P.M., August 30 2015 will be considered to be a late submission and shall be penalised with 1 mark for each day of delay till September 1, 2015. Any soft copy submission after September 1, 2015 (after 11:59 P.M.) shall not be accepted and the Team will not be allowed to participate except at the discretion of the O.C. The decision of the O.C. shall be final in this regard.
- Nine (9) hard copies of the Written Submissions for each side (9 for the Petitioner/Applicant/Appellant and 9 for the Respondent) should reach the O.C. by September 03, 2015 (05.00 P.M. IST) at the following address:
The Convener, Organizing Committee, GMSIL,
Gujarat National Law University,
Attalika Avenue, Knowledge Corridor, Koba
Gandhinagar - 382007 (Gujarat)
- The Written Submission shall consist of the following mandatory heads:
a. Cover Page
b. Table of Contents
c. List of Abbreviations
d. Index of Authorities
e. Statement of Facts (not exceeding 2 pages)
f. Issues Raised
g. Summary – a summary of the Arguments Advanced (not exceeding 2 pages)
h. Arguments Advanced (9000 words including footnotes)
i. Prayer (not exceeding 1 page)
- The Cover Page of each Written Submission must contain the following information:
a. The Team Code in the upper right-hand corner in accordance with Rule 6.5.4
b. The year of the Competition
c. The name of the Case
d. The party for which the Written Submission has been prepared.
e. Name of the forum resolving the dispute.
Formatting Guidelines for Memorial
- All abbreviations used in the Written Submission must be included in the List of Abbreviations. This will include commonly used abbreviations, acronyms and marks such as “%”, “&”, “USA”, “SEBI” etc. If any abbreviation does not appear in the abbreviation list, every instance when it is used in the Written Submission shall constitute a violation of this rule.
- Teams shall cite authorities in the Written Submission using footnotes following the Bluebook Method of Citation (19th edition).
- The Written Submission (including the preliminary pages) shall adhere to the following mandatory specifications:
a) Typed on A4 sized paper
b) Font type: Times New Roman
c) Font size: 12
d) Line spacing: 1.5
e) Body of text: Justified
- For footnotes, the formatting specifications are:
- a) Font type: Times New Roman
b) Font size: 10
c) Single spacing
d) Paragraph spacing: 0
e) No additional space between 2 footnotes f) Body of text: Justified
- The Written Submission must not contain any borders (including the preliminary pages).
- Each page (including the preliminary pages) must have a margin of 1 inch on each side.
- The Written Submission shall be spiral bound only.
- The following colour schemes shall be followed for the Cover Page of the Written Submission: a) Applicant - BLUE b) Respondent- RED
- The Winning Team shall be awarded a Trophy and a cash prize of INR 50,000.
- The Runner’s Up Team shall be awarded a cash prize of INR 25,000 The Best Written Submission award carries a cash prize of INR 10,000
- The Best Orator in the preliminary rounds shall be awarded a Merit Certificate and INR 5000.
- The Best Orator in the final round shall be awarded a Merit Certificate and INR 5000.
- The Best Researcher shall be awarded with a Merit Certificate, trophy and INR 5000. The Best Researcher shall be determined as per the Researcher’s Test conducted in accordance with Rule
- All members of each Team shall be awarded Certificates of Participation and all the winners of the awards shall be awarded Merit Certificates.
- Last date for registration and all formalities related to registration: 07th August, 2015
- Last date for submitting the soft copy of the Written Submission (11:59 P.M IST): 30th August, 2015
- Last date for submitting the hard copy of the Written Submission (5:00 P.M. IST): 3rd September, 2015
Click here to download the moot problem:
Click here to download the Rules and Regulations:
For further information, kindly contact
Mr. Girish R., Faculty Convener at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Muskan Sharma, Student Convener, at email@example.com
Ms. Shweta Sriram, Student Co Convener, at firstname.lastname@example.org