2002 Post-Godhra Riots Gangrape: SC Gives Gujarat Govt Time Till Early-January To Submit Report On Action Against Convicted Cops, Docs
The Supreme Court bench led by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra has granted time till the first week of January to the Gujarat government to inform the court whether it had initiated any departmental action against six police officers and two doctors involved in a 2002 post-Godhra riots gangrape case in the state.
Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta sought reasonable time to seek instructions from the state, which was vehemently opposed by the victim’s counsel Shobha.
She said the victim has already suffered for 15 years because of the state, and again the government is delaying which the court should not allow.
“To my knowledge, one was given promotion, but no response from the government so far,” the lawyer said.
“In the digital world, all information is available in minutes and I don’t know for what, the government is taking so much time,” the lawyer submitted.
Seeking the matter to be listed either in November or in December before the winter holidays, she argued that her fresh plea for enhancement of compensation awarded to victim by the trial court is also yet to be taken up by this court.
To her submission, the bench asked her to mention on Monday so that the court will list the matter relating to compensation for hearing.
The bench now posted the matter for the first week of January coming year.
The bench was hearing a petition filed by the rape survivor during Gujarat riots, raising various issues, including a prayer for action against six Gujarat cops and two doctors for botching the investigation.
On the last date of hearing, the court had asked Gujarat government to file a status report about the action against police personnel.
In May, the Gujarat High Court had convicted the accused officers and two doctors, but declared their sentence as “undergone”.
The high court convicted them while setting aside the trial court’s acquittal in the case.
A total of 18 persons were convicted by the high court while upholding the life imprisonment of 11 men for the gangrape.