GNLU Essay Competition on Law & Society January, 2016
The GNLU Centre for Law and Society is organizing GNLU ESSAY COMPETITION ON LAW AND SOCIETY January, 2016 in collaboration with the Chambers of Ratan K. Singh and under the able guidance of Padma Shree Prof. Upendra Baxi.
Established in 2015, the GNLU Centre for Law and Society (GCLS) is a venture of Gujarat National Law University to facilitate interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research, study and teaching of law and society, and law and legal institutions.
The field of Law and Society appreciates the mutual relationship between law and society, by taking into account the dynamic nature of the society and the legal responses to the changes in society.
In order to encourage further research and reflections in this field, particularly in the Indian context, the competition aims to provide a platform to students to express their views on various critical issues having socio-legal implications.
Theme “NEW LEGAL PATHS FOR SEEKING SOCIAL JUSTICE”
The following sub-themes have been identified as requiring academic consideration in the Indian context:
- Reconsidering Socio-Economic Parameters for Defining Caste
- Securing Rights Conducive to Social Change: Third Gender Rights in India
- Escaping Persecution: National Register of Citizens as a Measure to Counter Illegal Immigration?
- Era of Land Reforms: Balancing Industrial Development and Agricultural Interest
- Challenging the Leviathan: Sedition Law in India
- Death by Incarceration: A Limitation on the Term of Punishment
- Domestic Violence Laws: More Misuse Than Use
- Freedom of Expression v. Religious Sensitivities: Are Blasphemy Laws the way out?
- Is the soft law vehicle of CSR sufficient for domestic corporates to discharge their responsibility towards the society?
- Should MNCs be held criminally responsible for human rights violations?
- The essays must be submitted on or before January 31, 2016.
- The winners will be notified by email and on the website of the GNLU Centre for Law and Society (http://gnlucls.weebly.com/) on March 6, 2016.
Category: Law Students
1st Prize –
INR 15, 000; Internship at Thomson Reuters Foundation; Certificate Course by LAWyersclubindia.com and iPleaders
2nd Prize –
INR 7, 500; Internship at Fox Mandal & Co.; Certificate Course by LAWyersclubindia.com and iPleaders
3rd Prize –
INR 2, 500; Internship at Fox Mandal & Co.; Certificate Course by LAWyersclubindia.com and iPleaders
Category: Non-law Students
1st Prize –
INR 15, 000; Internship at Jindal Steel & Power Ltd
2nd Prize –
INR 7, 500; Internship at Jindal Steel & Power Ltd
3rd Prize –
INR 2, 500; Internship at Jindal Steel & Power Ltd
- Certificates will be issued to all participants and winners.
- The top 3 essays under each sub-theme will be published as a collection of essays.
- The authors of best entires under each sub-theme will be offered Certificate Courses by LAWyersclubindia.com and iPleaders, provided they fall under the Category of Law Students.
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in any discipline in a recognized University/ College/ Institute in India.
- Only one submission per author shall be entertained.
For any queries, you may leave us an e-mail at email@example.com or contact:
- Mr. Saurabh Anand, Faculty Convenor, GNLU Centre for Law and Society, Contact: +91 8128650808; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Palak Jagtiani Legal Cell Coordinator, Mobile: +91 8128650876; email@example.com
- Mr. Sameer R. Bhat, Student Convenor, GNLU Centre for Law and Society, Mobile: +91 9998925880; firstname.lastname@example.org