Drafting Law To Ban Sale & Use Of Lethal 'Chinese Manjha', Compensate Victims: UP Govt Informs Allahabad High Court

Sparsh Upadhyay

19 May 2026 1:50 PM IST

  • Drafting Law To Ban Sale & Use Of Lethal Chinese Manjha, Compensate Victims: UP Govt Informs Allahabad High Court
    Listen to this Article

    The Uttar Pradesh Government last week informed the Allahabad High Court that it will soon be coming up with a strict Law to prevent the manufacture, sale and use of lethal 'Chinese Manjha', a manjha laced with glass particles used for kite flying.

    Crucially, the State submitted that the payment of compensation to the victims is also being considered under this new law, which is proposed to be named the UP Lethal Manjha (Prohibition of Manufacture, Sale and Use) Act.

    A bench of Justice Rajan Roy and Justice Manjive Shukla was informed that the law is at the stage of deliberation/drafting and that at least 4 stakeholders are being consulted: the State Tax Department, the Infrastructure and Industrial Development Department, the Home Department and the Department of Environment.

    The bench was also told that necessary amendments in the Police Act are also contemplated and a drive was also conducted in this regard recently.

    These submissions were made in a 2018 Public Interest Litigation (PIL) plea filed by petitioner-in-person Moti Lal Yadav, along with a connected PIL filed by one Rajjan Khan, praying for a strictly ban on the import, sale and use of the 'Chinse Manjha' across Uttar Pradesh.

    Taking note of the State Government's submission, the bench said that the deliberations on the proposed enactment shall be expedited, and something tangible in the form of an enactment should come out as soon as possible, before the next date of hearing.

    "We are of the opinion that a continuous and regular exercise is required so as to stem this illegal and harmful practice. Awareness of ill effects of use of manjha also needs to be spread", the Court further added.

    During the Course of the hearing, intervenor-Advocate Syed Mohammad Haider Rizvi also appeared for the manufacturers and sellers of kites and traditional materials used for flying kites.

    Advocate Rizvi submitted that in the garb of the State's drive against Chinese Manjha, etc., kites and traditionally used materials, which are not harmful, are also being confiscated, and businessmen are being harassed.

    In view of this submission, the bench asked the State Authorities to ensure that no harassment is caused to the businessmen who are not indulging in the aforesaid illegal and prohibited activities.

    It, however, added that the businessmen selling kites and ancillary items must co-operate with the State Authorities if they want to conduct inspections, etc., or otherwise to stem the aforesaid problem.

    The bench also proposed that the areas in every city where kite flying is more prevalent be earmarked by the authorities. It remarked thus:

    "…in all probability the sale of such manjhas would also be prevalent more in such areas and then it would become easier to monitor and control the manufacture, sale and use of such illegal items…. As issues touching upon the right to life under Article 21 of the Constitution of India are involved, therefore, we are considering all the above issues".

    The matter will now come up again for hearing next on July 13, 2026, as the first case of the day.

    On the said date, the Additional Chief Secretary/ Principal Secretary, State Tax Department; Head of the Department in the Government of Infrastructure and Industrial Development Department; Additional Chief Secretary/ Principal Secretary, Home; Director General of Police, U.P., Home and the Head of the Department of Environment, U.P. have been asked to join the proceedings through video conferencing.

    They are to apprise the bench of the steps taken, the mechanism developed for curbing the manufacture, sale and use of the aforesaid prohibited and illegal items, keeping in mind the observations made by us in our earlier orders.

    The State Counsel has further been directed to prepare a compilation of relevant Government Orders, as also materials to demonstrate the action taken by the State Government, separately from the pleadings, for the assistance of this Court.

    The UP-Pollution Control Board has also been asked to file an affidavit regarding the Board's role in the matter.

    Furthermore, the Court recorded the Union of India's submission that it has no direct role, as the issue does not pertain to the import of 'Chinese Manjha'.

    Importantly, on the last date of hearing in this PIL plea, the High Court had warned the State Government that it would be held liable for victim compensation if 'Chinese Manjha' sales in the state continued unabated.

    Next Story