Delhi High Court Directs Centre To Consider Fresh Complaints Seeking Removal Of Derogatory Content Against Shirdi Sai Baba

Nupur Thapliyal

20 Aug 2026 12:07 PM IST

  • Delhi High Court Directs Centre To Consider Fresh Complaints Seeking Removal Of Derogatory Content Against Shirdi Sai Baba
    Listen to this Article

    The Delhi High Court on Thursday directed the Central Government to look into any further fresh complaint filed seeking removal of YouTube videos, and other online publications allegedly containing derogatory and inflammatory content concerning Shirdi Sai Baba.

    Justice Swarana Kanta issued notice on a fresh application filed by Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust, Shirdi, in its plea seeking removal of content against the deity.

    For context, earlier this month, the Court had directed the Union Government's Grievance Appellate Committee (GAC) to decide the Trust's complaints and pass an appropriate order.

    The fresh application now seeks removal of further links, alleging that the same is derogatory, inflammatory and communally provocative digital content.

    During the hearing today, the Central Government counsel informed the Court that an order has been passed by GAC on August 13, directing removal of the videos and online articles.

    Senior Advocate Pramod Kumar Dubey appearing for the Petitioner Trust however said that some videos are yet to be taken down, and that the fresh application seeks takedown of further derogatory material.

    He also referred to the findings of the GAC which observed that the “impugned content has the tendency to hurt religious senments, detrimental to the communal harmony and if allowed to connue in the manner, it will soon spread like a pandemic with wide uncontrollable repercussions.”

    He informed the Court that 7 YouTube videos are not taken down and even the articles are still accessible

    “YouTube is the problem. It is not taking any steps….,” he said, adding that there is even a limitation on the amount of complaints to be filed.

    The Court issued notice on the fresh application and sought response of the Union Government.

    “In the meantime, if any further fresh complaint is filed, the appropriate authority will look into it,” the Court said, while listing the matter on September 07.

    The plea alleges that the content has the potential to promote religious hostility and communal disharmony.

    According to the petition, several YouTube channels began publishing the allegedly objectionable material around March. The Trust claims that the publications portray Sai Baba as “Chand Miyan”, a “Jihadi”, a British spy, murderer, rapist, dacoit and religious converter.

    The petition states that the Trust approached YouTube's grievance redressal mechanism on July 15, 17 and 19 but YouTube rejected the complaints and the Trust was directed to approach the uploaders or obtain an order from the High Court.

    The Trust thereafter submitted a representation to the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology on July 26 and filed an appeal before the Grievance Appellate Committee on July 29 which is pending.

    The Trust is represented by Senior Advocate Pramod Kumar Dubey, with Advocates Saurav Agrawal, Ravi Sharma, Prachi Dubey, Rupraj Banerjee, Satyam Sharma, Harsh Khabar, Tushar Nair, Anusha Sinha, Aarya Bhat, Khushi Arora and Devangana Mishra.

    Title: SHRI SAIBABA SANSTHAN TRUST, SHIRDI v. UNION OF INDIA & ORS

    Nupur Thapliyal

    Nupur Thapliyal

    Nupur Thapliyal is a Principal Correspondent with LiveLaw, based in New Delhi. She reports from the Delhi High Court and trial courts in the national capital

    Next Story