Legal Defense Fund Coordinator Vacancy At Legal Defense Fund
2 Jun 2020 5:05 PM GMT
PCSDS is seeking a highly qualified applicant for the position of Legal Defense Fund Coordinator. Working closely with an Advisory Committee, the Coordinator will lead and manage the Fund's operations, including outreach, research, evaluation, and reporting. The applicant must be based in one of the metro cities in India, have access to high speed internet, and be able to work remotely in a responsible and collaborative manner to complete tasks and meet deadlines.
The selected candidate will be hired as a consultant for a period of twelve months, including a three-month probation period. The consultancy is renewable based on performance. We encourage candidates of all ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Positions are filled on the basis of ability without regard to caste, ethnicity, religion, sex, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. Remuneration will be commensurate with industry standards.
The Legal Defense Fund is an initiative of the People's Commission on Shrinking Democratic Space in India (PCSDS), a national-level membership-based collective of human rights organisations, democratic rights activists, social movements and concerned individuals. The Commission came together with the objective of responding to violations of the freedoms of opinion, expression, association, assembly, dissent, protest and all other rights, with a focus on ending the harassment and criminalization of human rights defenders.
Name of the Post: Legal Defense Fund Coordinator
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- LLB with at least three years of experience in casework preparation and litigation in any court in India
- Strong commitment to human rights nationally and globally, and knowledge of and perspective on the social, cultural and political landscape in India
- Strong technical skills in social media tools, online research, word processing, spreadsheet management
- Excellent interpersonal communication and coordination skills
- Fluency in English and Hindi (read, write, speak). Proficiency in other languages is welcome.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high pressure and deadline-driven environment, paying attention to details
- Ability to travel regularly around India
- Ability to successfully manage multiple responsibilities and deadlines, and to address complex problems in collaboration with others
- Personal integrity and respect for diversity and privacy
- Real-time monitoring of news reports, social media platforms, and other information channels on retaliatory actions against human rights defenders in India
- Engaging with and expanding the Fund's network of advisers, defenders, allies, and lawyers through regular communication and travel
- Identifying cases of human rights defenders in need of legal or medical support through research, referrals, inquiries, and in-person travel
- Reviewing requests for support from defenders, their allies, lawyers, and advisers
- Undertaking and documenting risk and need assessments
- Ensuring legal and financial compliance for the disbursal and use of funds as per the law
- Regular and consistent follow up with defenders, their lawyers, and allies
- Preparing financial and narratives reports on individual cases and overall management of the Fund
- Undertaking analysis of case trends
- Coordinating select cases between lawyers in lower courts, High Courts, and the Supreme Court
- Regular engagement with the Fund Advisory Committee, including convening and organizing meetings
How to Apply?
- Please send your resume, write about how you heard about this opportunity and why you feel you are a good fit for the role, as well as contact information for three references, to the People's Commission on Shrinking Democratic Space at email@example.com.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline by June 14th, 2020