Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) is inviting a call for applications for the Training & Materials Vertical, in the capacity of Co-Team Leader, Deputy Team Leaders, or Members of the Vertical.
The IDIA Project was initiated by Prof. (Dr.) Shamnad Basheer to reach out to the marginalized and under-represented groups, sensitize them to law as a viable career option and help interested students acquire admission in law schools, which are otherwise increasingly elitist spaces. The hope is that increasing access to legal education would contribute immensely to empowerment of the marginalized and underprivileged students and the communities they represent. To know more about the project, please visit the IDIA website here.
The Training and Materials Vertical (T&M Team) of IDIA is responsible for preparation of training-material for trainees to practice with. The Team is inviting applications for the different projects it will be undertaking this year. The T&M Vertical is revamping its structure to prepare high quality mocks and material in line with the new CLAT pattern, to be as beneficial to our trainees as possible. In furtherance of this renewed endeavor, volunteers are required for the following projects:
1. Reading and Learning Material
To adapt to the new CLAT pattern that is heavily analytical and comprehension based, IDIA aims to create extensive material that the trainees can utilise to learn concepts and read faster. This will include creating short explanations in very simple language on the various legal, mathematical, English, logical and static general knowledge questions that frequent the new pattern. The subject matter that the volunteers will be covering will be per their choosing. The explanations can be in the nature of documents, video training, voice notes, or games.
This project shall also enable volunteers to implement unique learning methods in their material to help make the process both fun and informative. Since this is IDIA's latest undertaking, priority will be given to applicants who apply under this wing. Moreover, the new pattern will require original thinking to create comprehension based questions of 400-500 words per question. Volunteers having a sound grasp of subject areas tested through law entrance examinations, and wishing to disseminate this knowledge country-wide are encouraged to apply.
2. Mock Tests
Mock tests for the new examination pattern are being created for the trainees. The work would entail:
• Creating mock tests calibrated to different difficulty levels.
• Proof-reading questions and answer keys in pre-existing Mock Tests.
• Administering tests and analysing test results so as to give detailed, individualised feedback to test-takers.
Over the years, IDIA trainees have greatly benefited from regular feedback on their performance. In addition to designing questions, volunteers will have an opportunity to extensively engage with IDIA's new platform, code tests, and conduct data analysis using MS Excel. Prior knowledge of these tools is not a pre-requisite.
3. Practice Tests
This project will involve creating weekly and monthly practice tests on various subjects covered by the law entrance exams. Each test will contain around 20-30 questions with explanatory answers. These tests greatly help the regional teams teach their trainees and track their progress.
4. Current Affairs
This project entails preparation of weekly quizzes on current affairs. If you are interested in regular engagement with the happenings across the world, then this work shall interest you greatly. Please note, applicants under this wing will also have to apply to one of the previously mentioned projects, since this work is infrequent and requires very little time.
1. Co-Team Leader: members with prior experience with the National T&M vertical or the T&M teams of their regional IDIA Chapters are encouraged to apply for this position.
2. Deputy Team Leader: IDIA will be recruiting 1 deputy team leader for each section of the exam, viz, English, Logic, GK, Math, and Legal. Applicants are encouraged to showcase their general interest, experience and aptitude in these sections while applying for the positions.
3. Members: Members will be taken for each of the 4 projects mentioned above. Applicants are permitted to apply to more than one project (eg. Mock tests and Current Affairs).
• The T&M Vertical must be first priority for the applicants. Applicants should be able to spare at least 5-6 hours a week for this work.
• It is essential that applicants believe in and be committed to IDIA's cause.
• Good communication skills along with leadership qualities are also a must.
• Members with prior experience with the vertical are encouraged to apply for the position of Co-TL and deputy TLs.
The biggest incentive in working as part of IDIA is, of course, the satisfaction of having made a great contribution towards a great cause. However, some material incentives which you could consider are:
• IDIA's various supporters and donors (including some of the leading law firms) have agreed to grant internship opportunities to best performing IDIA volunteers. In the past, IDIA has nominated its best performing volunteers for internships at top law firms such as JSA, Trilegal, Luthra and Luthra, AZB etc. as well as companies like GE, Microsoft, Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis etc.
• An exceptional IDIA team leader/deputy team leader could be nominated for a series of awards including a fellowship instituted by a leading lawyer (IDIA: Sagar Fellowships) that pays a good sum each month.
• A certificate highlighting your contribution to IDIA and providing an assessment of your work.
Application Process: Those interested in applying may fill in this form by 11:59 P.M. on Wednesday, 22nd June 2020. Based on your expression of interest via the Google form you will be asked to complete a small task in due course.
In case of any doubt(s), please feel free to write to Piyush Tiwari (email@example.com).