The sixth edition of NLIU-Justice R.K. Tankha Memorial International Arbitration Moot was organised on the virtual platform. The event was organized in collaboration with the Office of Senior Advocate and Member of Parliament – Mr. Vivek Tankha, L&L Partners Law Offices, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Jus Mundi, Transnational Dispute Management (TDM), NFRAL and IALR, from 05th March to 07th March 2021. The three-day event witnessed the participation of 50 teams from all across the globe.
Result of Competition:
- Winner: NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad and Symbiosis Law School (SLS), Pune (Prize Money Rs. 80,000 Per Team and Internship to 4 people out of 8 with L&L Partners)
- Best Oralist: Chaitanya Kediyal, University of Oxford (Prize Money Rs. 15,000 and Internship with SIAC)
- Best International Team: University of Oxford (Prize Money Rs.30,000)
- Best Memorial Applicant: NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad (Prize Money Rs.15,000)
- Best Memorial Respondent: The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS) Kochi (Prize Money Rs.15,000)
The Judges for the final rounds were:
- Hon'ble Justice A. K. Sikri | International Judge at the Singapore International Commercial Court, (SIAC) Singapore Supreme Court, Former Judge Supreme Court of India and Chairperson of News Broadcasting Standards Authority.
- Mr. Gary Born | Chair of the International Arbitration Practice Group at Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr LLP
- Hon'ble Justice G.S. Patel | Judge, Bombay High Court.
Highlights of The Valedictory Ceremony
The Valedictory Ceremony began with the welcome speech by Dr. Rajiv Khare, Dean PG, NLIU and Dr. Sanjay Yadav, Faculty In-charge NLIU Moot Court Association. All the dignitaries, faculty members, participants and students were welcomed by them.
Monika Saroha, Additional Director, Delhi Judicial Academy, addressed the participants and praised the Moot Court Association for their constant efforts in making the event as a huge success. She also insisted the participants to join Judicial Services as it is the most respected service in our society.
Mr. Vivek Tankha, Senior Advocate and Member of Parliament, congratulated the NLIU on behalf of Hon'ble Chief Justice of India for organizing moot competition on such a big scale.
Prasant Mishra, Partner, L&L Partners, stated that this was his fourth association with this program and the level of the moot and participants increases each year. He also thanked all the judges on behalf of L&L Partners for taking their time and judging the rounds of this competition.
Justice G.S. Patel (Guest of Honor) appreciated the efforts of Mr. Vivek Tankha and stated that the level of advocacy displayed by the participants was appreciable and also the participants were confident and comfortable while presenting their arguments in front of the judges.
Mr. Gary Born (Guest of Honor), expressed his views on professionalism. He said that the passion of organizers and participants was extraordinary, especially in the virtual mode and its associated difficulties. The teams were really diligent and hardworking. He further stated that events and competitions like this bring us all together irrespective of international boundaries.
The Valedictory Ceremony concluded with the closing remarks by Gokul Holani, Convenor of Moot Court Association, and Harshit Srivastava, the Co-Convenor. They thanked all the dignitaries, participants, members and volunteers of Moot Court Association for their constant support throughout the competition. They also thanked all the partners for collaborating to host such a wonderful competition.
For Press Release, click here