#Metoo Allegations Against Director Vikas Bahl: Alleged Victim Wishes To Be Removed As A Party From The Case
The former employee of Phantom Films who had alleged sexual assault by director Vikas Bahl gave a statement before the Bombay High Court through her lawyer Senior Advocate Navroz Seervai. She said: “I do not wish to relive any further what has transpired and I request that my presence in this proceeding be dispense with and I be dropped as a party.”
In the previous hearing, Seervai had told the court that his client does not wish to be made a party in this case. To this, Justice SJ Kathawalla directed the alleged victim to put it in writing that she did not wish to pursue the case.
Seervai told the court on Tuesday that his client wants to put the entire episode behind her and move on. In the statement, she further stated:
“Absence of a FIR or a written complaint cannot take away from the truth of my statements. I affirm and stand by the statements published early this month. Why I have not filed a police complaint is plain to see, if one considers how formal processes have failed to achieve any measure of accountability and lead only to further victimisation of sexual assault survivors.”
Bahl’s Rs 10-crore defamation case against Anurag Kashyap, Vikram Motwane and a few media houses also seek an injunction against them from posting or publishing any content that is ‘defamatory’.
After hearing the victim’s statement, Justice Kathawalla sought to know from the respondents whether the case can be pursued by a ‘proxy’ if the victim herself does not wish to do so.
In their affidavits, Kashyap and Motwane stated that Bahl has a drinking problem and is unable to control his behaviour when he has too much alcohol. They also mentioned actors Kangana Ranaut and Imran Khan pointing out Bahl’s inappropriate behaviour. Kashyap and Motwane also claimed that Bahl had accepted his wrongdoing and even sought forgiveness.
Senior Advocate Janak Dwarkadas appeared on behalf of Vikas Bahl. He argued that his client’s image had been tarnished by such allegations and now the victim does not want to pursue the case, he will not have a chance to cross-examine her and prove Bahl’s innocence.
The court adjourned the matter and gave time to one-partner of Phantom Films, Madhu Mantena to file an affidavit. The case will now be heard on October 25.