The Delhi Police on Thursday informed the High Court that chargesheet has been filed against 30 individuals in the case relating to the attack and vandalization at the official residence of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal in March 2022.
The High Court in May this year had directed the Delhi Police to file a further status report concerning the investigation, after it informed the Bench that no protest will be allowed at the Civil Lines Metro station, Gates at the entry/ exit of the concerned road will be erected, etc.
Today, a division bench comprising of Chief Justice Satish Chandra Sharma and Justice Subramonium Prasad was informed by Sanjay Lao appearing for Delhi Police that two gates are being put on both the sides of the road in question.
He further informed that 60 per cent of the work is complete and that the same will be done in a couple of days.
Senior Advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi appearing for the petitioner, on the other hand, submitted that the matter was serious and that there was a clear intrusion into the residence of a constitutional authority in Delhi, causing serious prejudice.
The counsel appearing for Centre on advance notice submitted that the petition stands satisfied as all the directions in terms of previous orders were complied with.
"All steps as directed have been taken care of. The petition has been satisfied," it was submitted.
The Court thus posted the matter for hearing on August 8, clarifying that the case will be decided finally on the said date.
"We are listing the matter on August 8 with a clear understanding that we will be deciding it on that day," the Chief Justice said.
The Court had earlier expressed dissatisfaction at the report filed by the Delhi Police with respect to the security arrangement made outside CM residence. It had directed the Commissioner of Delhi Police to look into the aforesaid lapse and inquire into: firstly, whether bandobast was adequate; secondly, the reasons for failure of arrangements; and thirdly, fix responsibility for the admitted lapse.
The development comes in a petition moved through Advocate Bharat Gupta alleged that on March 30, "several BJP goons" in the garb of a protest, launched an attack on the official residence of the CM, videos and photographs of which show that such persons "casually walked through the security cordon maintained by Delhi Police, kicked and broke the boom barrier, broke the CCTVs cameras with lathis, threw paint on the gate of the residence and almost climbed over the gate."
It further alleged that the Delhi Police completely abdicated its duty, without any regard for the fact that they were protecting an elected constitutional functionary who was given Z+ security by Delhi Police itself.
Thus, calling it a direct attack on democracy, the petition seeks an independent, fair and time bound criminal investigation with respect to the attack and its perpetrators as also directions for ensuring the security of Chief Minister and his residence, in future.
Case Title: SAURABH BHARDWAJ v. DELHI POLICE & ANR