Begin typing your search above and press return to search.
News Updates

Mumbai Sessions Court Dismisses Kangana Ranaut's Revision Petition Against Summons In Javed Akhtar's Defamation Case

Sharmeen Hakim
5 April 2021 10:41 AM GMT
Mumbai Sessions Court Dismisses Kangana Ranauts Revision Petition Against Summons In Javed Akhtars Defamation Case
x

A Sessions Court at Dindoshi, Mumbai rejected the revision application by actor Kangana Ranaut seeking to "suspend" the proceedings against her in the criminal defamation case filed by veteran lyricist Javed Akhtar. Akhtar has accused Kangana of damaging his "immaculate reputation by falsely attributing statements to him," in her interview with Republic TV anchor Arnab Goswami, on...

A Sessions Court at Dindoshi, Mumbai rejected the revision application by actor Kangana Ranaut seeking to "suspend" the proceedings against her in the criminal defamation case filed by veteran lyricist Javed Akhtar.

Akhtar has accused Kangana of damaging his "immaculate reputation by falsely attributing statements to him," in her interview with Republic TV anchor Arnab Goswami, on July 19, 2020, soon after actor Sushant Singh Rajput's death.

He filed a complaint for offences punishable under sections 499 and 500 (defamation) of the Indian Penal Code in the Metropolitan Magistrate Court, in Andheri, in November.

Before the sessions court, Kangana had challenged the Andheri Metropolitan Magistrate Court's order issuing process against her under section 204 of the CrPC, on February 1.

The February order was passed after Akhtar was examined on oath and an inquiry was made by the local police.

Kangana had said the procedure under section 200 of the CrPC, which requires the complainant as well as witnesses to be examined on oath, before the issuance of process, was not followed.

Akhtar opposed Kangana's plea through Advocate Jay Bharadwaj. He argued that the magistrate's order did not warrant interference as witnesses were to be examined only if they were present.

He further argued that by issuing summons, Kangana was given a fair chance to respond to the complaint. Akhtar's counsels had earlier pointed out Kangana's response to a Live Law post, to show she received summons but still chose not to appear in court.

The Metropolitan Magistrate Court had then issued a bailable warrant against her. The warrant was cancelled after Kangana approached the Court and undertook to furnished a cash bail of Rs. 20,000 and surety worth Rs. 15,000.

In his complaint, Akhtar says he is a self-made man, who reached Mumbai on October 4, 1964, with Rs 27, two pairs of clothes and a few books. He was 19 then.

"The complainant is one of the most senior artists in the film industry with his successful career spanning over more than 55 years, which in itself is a rare achievement. Apart from this, he was also nominated as a member of Rajya Sabha during the period March 2010 to March 2016," the plea stated about Akhtar's reputation.

Akhtar claims that in an interview that lasts 57-minutes, Kangana is seen giving her opinion on the circumstances surrounding Rajput's death without any direct personal knowledge. His plea further stated that the defamatory statements were made against him during this interview.


Next Story