Students of National Law University, Odisha, have commenced an indefinite strike against the various issues that concern the University. The protesting students have cited Administrative lethargy, unreasonable policies and reluctance to bring about reforms as general reasons for announcing the strike.
The student body of the University has highlighted the following concerns:
1. Basic Infrastructure Problems: hostels are in dilapidated condition with glaring sanitary and maintenance problems. Students have complained about girls getting electrocuted, falling ceiling, fungus and seepage in washrooms. Moreover, the news Girls Hostel which was promised hasn't been completed yet. A proper library has also not been provided with and the students are forced to manage with a makeshift one.
2. Arbitrary Examination Policy: students have complained about ambiguous grounds for permitting exam exemptions and also qualitative difference between papers set for regular and exemption exams.
3. Policy Paralysis: There's no accountability of poorly performing teachers despite teachers' evaluations being submitted annually. Curfew timings have not been relaxed despite the same receiving the consent of the majority of parents. Hostel wardens are also very regressive making it difficult for girls to live freely.
Apart from these, the students complain that they face many other problems which the administration has turned a blind eye to. The demands have been repeatedly ignored by citing vague excuses such as asking for more time or lack of funds, allege the students body.
The protesting students have put forward the following demands:
1. Make Girls Hostel-2 habitable
2. Final deadline for the construction of library
3. Establishment of a full time dispensary and availabNility of a full time nurse
4. Removal of curfew timing
5. Academic policy and examination department reforms
6. Infrastructure repairs and improvements
7. Faculty evaluation results and appointments
8. Removal of Resident Warden of girls hostel
9. Permanent solution to working of ACs in Academic Block
10. Rationale behind the hike in fees for the incoming batch
The students have vouched for the peaceful nature of the protest and have cited it to be pertinent for ensuring a dignified life on the campus.