Ashwini Upadhyay has filed a PIL before the Delhi High Court seeking linking of Aadhaar with the Voter-ID card in order to curb duplicate voting and ensure the security of voting process. The petitioner prays for directions to be issued to Election Commission for taking requisite steps to ensure Aadhaar based voting system.
The Bench headed by Chief Justice DN Patel has directed the Election Commission to consider the pea in 8 weeks.
Mr Upadhyay has proposed e-voting system using fingerprint and face biometric. In this system, the database would be updated every time before an election. He contends that this system will lead to an increase in voting percentage as people would be able to vote from anywhere and will not be forced to go to their home constituency just to carry their vote. It will also prevent bogus or fabricated voting as the Aadhaar database will filter and allow only eligible voters to vote.
He also believes that the linking of Aadhaar is not only necessary to ensure free and fair elections but also to curtail fake electoral rolls. It will give the ECI robust and clean Voter details ensuring fake, duplicate and ghost voter records are weeded out from Electoral databases and there is no repeated KYC checks for voters.
The proposed system will conduct voting in the following manner:
• Step 1: Visit any polling station.
• Step 2: Enter in voting compartment.
• Step 3: Give fingerprint to scanner.
• Step 4: System checks fingerprint with Aadhaar database's and also checks whether eligible or not (whether above 18 or not).
• Step 5: It will show "You can vote" else "You can't vote"
• Step 6: Choose the candidate from list.
• Step 7: It will show "your vote is successfully registered".
Click Here To Download Petition