NUJS National Seminar on Legal Aspects of Animal Welfare
Justice Sunanda Bhandari Forum for Natural Resources Law of The WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata is hosting National Seminar on Legal Aspects of Animal Welfare on 09-10 September, 2016.
Major themes of the Conference Animals in customs, traditions and religions
- Do animals have rights beyond species? Are they to be considered/ treated as individuals entitled to life and liberty - and if yes, how do we differentiate between species?
- Are animals to be addressed mostly in context of perceived utility to humans, from food to companion animals? (Economy- agriculture, dairy, entertainment industry, circus, racing and hunting, sports, etc., transportation of livestock, slaughter houses) Animals in Cages and Captivity- Zoo Animals, Companion Animals
- Animals in drugs and cosmetics experiments etc
.· Animals as property- ownership and liability (Jurisprudential aspect companion and stray animals)
- Biodiversity and the right of species as whole to survive and perpetuate.
- [Poaching and habitat, genetic modification] Is there a need to have separate conventions to protect animal rights?
- [Comparative statutory laws/policies on Animal welfare and protection (emerging issues)] Man and Animal Conflict (lack of prey, animal corridor, land enclosures etc)
- Application of sustainable development principles on animals, land enclosures and animal/ wildlife protection.
Those who are interested in presenting a paper on any of the above themes must send an abstract of 300 words along with a brief biographical note (not more than 300 words) on or before 8 th August 2016. The acceptance of the paper for presentation would be informed by 10th August 2016. A full length paper of 5,000 - 7,000 words must be sent by 2nd September 2016. If the full length paper is not submitted before the last date, authors will not be allowed to present the paper in the Conference. Submission of the full paper would be presumed as unconditional consent of the author/s for a possible publication by the organisers.
Last date for submission of Abstract: 8 August 2016
Last date for submission of Full Paper: 2 September 2016
E-mail id for Submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Number: 033- 25694700 ext. 7090/ 9874979794
Student co-ordinators: Mr. Saurabh Kumar
Ms. Anushree Malaviya
Email: email@example.com Mobile: 9830030897 Conference Date: 09-10 September 2016
Conference Venue: The WB National University of Juridical Sciences 12, LB Block, Sec III, Salt Lake, Kolkata - 700098 A registration fee of Rs. 700/- shall be charged to the participants.
All the participants must register their name by email communication to any one of the student co-ordinators by 31 August 2016. Due to the financial constraints, organisers are not in a position to provide any support regarding transportation or accommodation of participants.
For more information, click here.