Treaty Negotiation Competition: 1st Kiit National Conference on International Law
The International Law Society, KIIT School of Law is organizing the 1 st KIIT National Conference on International Law from 15th January to 17th January 2016 to encourage discussion and deliberation on essential and contemporary issues pertaining to public and private international law.
The Conference is a part of International Law Students Association (ILSA) Chapter Grants Program.
Among other events, the Conference will host Treaty Negotiation Competition. The Competition has been designed with the intention of testing the participants’ aptitude for diplomacy, negotiation, analytical skills etc. which play an important role in the field of international law and international relations.
The KIIT School of Law seeks participation of undergraduate students of recognised Law Schools all across the country for the Treaty Negotiation Competition, in furtherance of our initiative to bring forth the legal fraternity a fresh approach to the realm of problem analysis and crisis solution.
STRUCTURE OF THE COMPETITION:
The format of the Competition is based on the workings of various bodies and agencies of United Nations as well as other independent organizations which cater to the treaty negotiation process in various global spheres. A hypothetical situation with certain facts will be provided which will form the foundation of the treaty negotiation process. On the basis of the given background, interested students will send a write-up for screening process. The top 10 teams will be selected on the basis of their quality of their write-ups to take part in the Treaty Negotiation Competition and will be provided a detailed literature for the Competition. The teams will then send in their written submission in the form of Framework Agreements. They will carefully consider each other’s contention in the oral rounds and will try to negotiate and reach to a consensus on all the issues. The key objective of this Competition is to inculcate in participants the sense of innovation along with negotiation skills which are essential in a lawyer. The KIIT School of Law seeks participation of undergraduate students of recognised Law Schools all across the country for the Treaty Negotiation Competition, in furtherance of our initiative to bring forth the legal fraternity a fresh approach to the realm of problem analysis and crisis solution.
- A team will consist of 2 members and will be assigned one nation after selection from the written round.
- The first round will be the written round. Interested teams have to send a write-up as per the given questions. Top 10 teams will be selected on the basis of the quality of the writeup and will qualify for the Competition. The deadline for sending in your write-ups for Preliminary Submission is 25th November, 2015.
- The detailed literature will be circulated to the selected teams. They have to send in their Framework Agreement on the basis of the literature provided to them before the deadline.
- The teams have to submit their Framework Agreements by 5th January 2016, 23:59 hours. The teams will send a separate Cover Letter with their Framework Agreements incorporating details like name(s), affiliated college, full postal address, email id and contact number. The Framework Agreements should not contain any biographical references of the team members.
- All Framework Agreements should be submitted via email to [email protected] in .doc or .docx format. The subject of the email should be “FRAMEWORK AGREEMENT FOR TREATY NEGOTIATION COMPETITION – [COUNTRY NAME]”. The name of the Paper will be the “FRAMEWORK AGREEMENT – COUNTRY NAME”.
- Structure of the Framework Agreement will be furnished in the Conference Brochure.
TIMELINE OF THE COMPETITION:
- Registration for Conference opens – 25th November 2015
- Deadline for submission of write-up – 25th November 2015
- Intimation of 10 selected teams – 28th November 2015
- Registration for Conference closes – 30th December 2015
- Deadline for submission of Framework Agreement – 5th January 2016
- Circulation of Framework Agreements between Nations – 6th January 2016
- Inauguration of the Conference – 15th January 2016
- Treaty Negotiation Competition – 17th January 2016
- Best Team - INR 15,000 plus vouchers from our partners
- Second Best Team– INR 10,000 plus vouchers from our partners
- Best Framework Agreement – INR 5,000 plus vouchers from our partners
Faculty Convenor –
Assistant Professor of Law
For any queries, please send a mail to [email protected] or contact:
Nitesh Sharma, President: +91-9692775969;
Shreyan Sengupta, Vice President: +91- 8984536979
Click here for more information on the write-up and Framework Agreement.