News Updates

Wife Arrested In Calcutta HC Lawyer Murder Case

Apoorva Mandhani
3 Dec 2018 2:45 PM GMT
Wife Arrested In Calcutta HC Lawyer Murder Case
Your free access to Live Law has expired
To read the article, get a premium account.
    Your Subscription Supports Independent Journalism
Subscription starts from
(For 6 Months)
Premium account gives you:
  • Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.
  • Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.
Already a subscriber?

The police, on Sunday, reportedly arrested Anindita Pal Dey, the wife of Calcutta High Court lawyer Rajat Dey, who was recently found dead under mysterious circumstances at his home in Kolkata.

According to a Hindustan Times report, the couple has a two-year-old son, and they lived in an apartment in New Town in the northern outskirts of Kolkata.

The dead body of the lawyer was found on November 25. His face had turned blue and there was a deep mark on his throat. His wife, also a lawyer, had initially informed the police that he had suffered from a heart attack and had fallen off the bed.

The autopsy report, however, confirmed that the cause of death was strangulation. While the wife had tried to misguide the police, this piece of information deepened the suspicions of the authorities. Ms. Dey then wilted under relentless interrogation on Saturday night. She allegedly confessed to having used the cable of her mobile phone charger to strangle him.

The police suspects that an extra-marital affair might have led to the murder, as the couple seemingly had an argument over the same, a day before his death.

An investigating officer was further quoted as saying, “Both the accused and the victim chatted with people on social media before the murder. We have checked call and chat histories in their phones. Anindita received a call hours after the murder. We are focusing on this caller.”

She was produced before Barasat court on Sunday morning and has been sent to police custody for eight days.

Next Story