Aircel-Maxis Case: SPP Anand Grover Complains To SC Against CBI For Taking Away Files
In an embarrassment to the Central government and the CBI, special public prosecutor in 2G case senior advocate Anand Grover on Friday complained before the Supreme Court against the CBI for taking away files pertaining to Karti Chidambaram case.
Appearing before the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra, Grover submitted that he, being the SPP, had received a copy of Karti’s petition challenging the CBI’s summons against him in connection with the Aircel-Maxis case that arose out of illegal 2G spectrum allotment case.
“Your Lordships had appointed me as SPP in 2G matter and you have to clarify my position...,” Grover said.
In the meantime, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Tushar Mehta informed the court that he was not served upon a copy of the petition, as per the last order.
Intervening at this stage, the CJI said: “Let’s not create an embarrassing situation” and ordered the copy of the petition to the ASG.
In the last date of hearing, the three-judge bench had directed Karti’s counsel to supply the petition’s copy to ASG Mehta, who appears for the CBI in the top court.
The petition copy was supplied to the SPP, but not to the ASG.
Karti is facing investigation by the CBI for his alleged role in getting Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearance to INX Media when Karti's father was the Union Finance Minister.
The CBI had also issued summons to him in connection with Aircel-Maxis case, which he has challenged before the apex court.
Karti said his father P Chidambaram had filed an affidavit before the Supreme Court on September 29 in connection with the matter of Aircel Maxis and INX Media.
Both of them were questioned by the agency on November 19 and December 6 of 2014.
In his plea, Karti said all proceedings connected with the matter had been terminated. Since all the accused in the case had been discharged, the CBI should not have summoned him. The trial court is all set to pronounce the verdict on December 21.
The Madras High Court had also refused to grant any relief to him, saying that he should approach the Delhi High Court for the case relating to 2G scam.