10 Oct 2022 7:27 AM GMT
About the OrganizerThe Gujarat National Law University Centre for Sports and Entertainment Law ( GCSEL) is one of the country's first centres that works in the area of sports and entertainment. Since its inception in 2010, the sports wing of the Centre has aimed to provide legal infrastructure to the sports industry and a forum for students to engage in and work with lawyers...
About the Organizer
The Gujarat National Law University Centre for Sports and Entertainment Law ( GCSEL) is one of the country's first centres that works in the area of sports and entertainment. Since its inception in 2010, the sports wing of the Centre has aimed to provide legal infrastructure to the sports industry and a forum for students to engage in and work with lawyers representing athletes, teams, leagues, conferences, civic recreational programs, educational institutions and other organizations involved in professional, collegiate, Olympic, physical education and amateur sports. In line with the Centre's purpose to create awareness and encourage students to explore the area of Sports law, the Centre is pleased to announce the 2nd GNLU Essay Competition on Sports Law.
About the Essay Competition
Major Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player, widely regarded as one of the greatest field hockey players in history. Commemorating his achievements and sporting spirit, the GNLU Sports Committee presents you with an opportunity to showcase your knowledge and writing skills.
Sports are a crucial part of a student's growth and development. They help in the development of mental health and physical fitness of the body. The sports industry today is highly competitive and has a global reach. However, competitive sporting, unfortunately bears witness to doping. Doping in sports is the use of banned athletic performance-enhancing drugs by athletic competitors as a way of cheating in sports. The term doping is widely used by organizations that regulate sporting competitions. There are numerous organizations in place to keep a check on doping in sports. However, there are various legal aspects involved in the same and this essay competition aims to spread
awareness about doping in sports and give the participants a platform to discuss issues related to doping in sports law and put forth their opinions on various laws related to the same. The goal of this competition is to foster a constructive discussion about sports law and the intricacies of sports and doping by enlisting the students' creative perspective.
● Criminalization of doping in sports
● Doping and gender issues
● Doping in esports and its regulation.
● Vicarious liability in doping cases
● Evolving drugs and the steps taken by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) ● The forensic approach to Anti-doping in sports
● Regulated use of performance enhancing drugs in certain sports
● The Implications of the National Anti-Doping Bill
● Standard of proof in Doping cases
● International standards for testing samples of Athletes
● The right against Self-Incrimination and Doping test
● Health implications on the mental and physical capabilities of the sports persons, due to doping
● The challenges to legal remedies in anti doping in sports
● Sports arbitration arising out of anti doping violations
* The participants are encouraged, but not restricted to the abovementioned themes. They can select a theme of their own choice, and prepare an essay on the basis of that too.
This competition is open to students pursuing their legal degrees (undergraduate/postgraduate) or any other such course equivalent, from all recognised universities across the world.
The formatting specifications are as follows:
● Font: Times New Roman
● Font Size: 12
● Spacing: 1.5
● Alignment: Justified
● Margin: One inch on all sides
● Paper Size: A4
● Font Size: 10
● Spacing: 1
● Alignment: Justified
● Citation Style: OSCOLA (Oxford University Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities) style
Note: Speaking footnotes are prohibited, and shall lead to the deduction of marks. Submission Guidelines
1. The word limit for the essays is 3000-3500 words, inclusive of footnotes. Essays exceeding this word limit, shall not be considered.
2. Co-authorship of upto 2 authors is permitted.
3. Participants each can submit only one entry.
4. The essay must be submitted in Microsoft Word Document format (.doc/.docx) only.
5. The essay must be submitted through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Submission for GNLU Essay Competition on Sports Law'.
6. The participants must refrain from including their names or any information hinting to their identity. The essay must not disclose the identity of the participant(s) in any way, failing which, the entry shall be disqualified. All the information about the authors should be included in the email, separate from the essay. The information required is:
● Full name of the Participant(s)
● Name and address of the participant's University(ies)
● Current year of study and name of degree being pursued
● E-mail ID(s) of the participant(s)
● Theme Chosen
7. It is the responsibility of the participant(s) to ensure that the content of the essays is original. A strict online plagiarism check will be done on all the submissions. No form of plagiarism will be accepted, and any such plagiarism detected shall result in immediate disqualification of the entry.
8. No part of the essay should have been published earlier, nor should it be under consideration for publication elsewhere.
9. There is no participation fee.
Last Date for submission: 5th October, 2022
Declaration of Results: 31st October, 2022
First Prize: Rs. 15000 with certificate
Second Prize: Rs. 10000 with certificate
Third Prize: Rs. 5000 with certificate
The top 10 essays will also receive a merit certificate. In addition to this, if the reviewers recommend, the essays shall be compiled and published in the form of a book with a reputed publishing house.
In case of any queries, participant(s) can contact the following:
Email Id: email@example.com
Contact No.(s): Souniya Dhuldhoya Hitesh Kar Gagandeep RM +91 9537833049 +91 90516 40485 +91 94820 02002