News Updates

Uttarakhand HC Seeks Reply From Police On Transgender's Plea Against Refusal Of FIR On Rape Complaint

9 Jan 2019 12:01 PM GMT
Uttarakhand HC Seeks Reply From Police On Transgenders Plea Against Refusal Of FIR On Rape Complaint
Your free access to Live Law has expired
To read the article, get a premium account.
    Your Subscription Supports Independent Journalism
Subscription starts from
(For 6 Months)
Premium account gives you:
  • Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.
  • Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.
Already a subscriber?

A transgender person has approached the Uttarakhand High Court to claim her rights after police refused to accept her changed gender.

The high court stepped in to the woman's aid, asking police to state the reason for such behaviour.

According to a complaint filed by the victim, she was in love with a man from Kotdwar and underwent a gender change surgery to be able to be with him.

After their engagement ceremony, her fiance called him to Kotdwar and allegedly raped her.

When she approached police with a complaint, they refused to file an FIR under section 376 of the IPC (rape) and instead filed the complaint under section 377( unnatural offences).

The victim then approached the high court seeking conversion of the FIR under section 377 to one under section 376, claiming that she has all the rights of a woman.

Justice Lokpal Singh heard the matter on Monday and asked the government to file a reply within four weeks.

(This story has not been edited by LiveLaw and is from PTI feed)

Next Story
Share it